Are you sure you know how to properly clean diamond and gold jewelry? For centuries women have preserved their jewelries and passed them on to the next generation as a souvenir of family heritage and of memories. This gives additional responsibility to the present generation to maintain and preserve jewelry. In this blog we will tell you about some easy ways to maintain the beauty and increase the life of your diamond and gold jewelry.
Any precious stone need to be cleaned regularly so as to preserve its glow and sparkle. A stone’s glow can be dulled by skin oils, soaps, cosmetics and cooking grease. Here are some important points to keep in mind.
- Do not clutter all your jewelry in one case as one stone can scratch another
- Wrap your jewelry in separate tissue papers or keep them in separate boxes
- Do annual check ups. Check for loose stones and consult a jeweler if they need to be fixed. Do not try fixing with adhesives
- Do not wear diamond rings while doing rough work like washing dishes. Chlorine in cleaning agents pit and discolor the mounting
How to Clean Diamond Jewelry
- Use Mild Detergent
- To clean diamond jewelry, mix any Ph neutral liquid detergent with water and soak the jewelry in it for some time
- Brush the jewelry with a toothbrush.
- Transfer to a wire strainer (the regular tea strainer will do) and rinse with warm water
- Pat dry with a soft cloth
- Give a Cold Water Bath
- Soak jewelry in half a cup of cold water and half a cup of ammonia for thirty minutes.
- Lift gently and tap front and back with a soft brush
- Dip once again. Lift and pat dry
Indian women love gold. It is the most sought after metal for ornaments in India and hence it is necessary that we know what’s good for the long life and bright look of your gold ornaments. Here are a few important pointers:
- Gold is a soft metal and can change shape on application of sufficient pressure. Hence great care needs to be taken in preserving gold jewelry. While removing chains, bangles, wristlets etc. no pressure should be applied
- Always keep gold jewelry wrapped in soft cloth. Keep it wrapped in any natural material such as cotton or wool
- Do not bathe with it on as soap and water may leave a dull film
- Avoid contact with cosmetics like hair sprays, perfumes and make up
How to Clean Gold Jewelry
Use Jewelers Cleaning Solution
- The best way to clean gold jewelry is to take it to a jeweler and get it treated with a cleaning solution.\
- Follow this up by cleaning it through an ultrasonic machine
Use Ammonia Solution
- Make a mild solution of ammonia, mild detergent and warm water
- Soak your gold jewelry in it
- Gently scrub with a soft bristle brush
- Pat dry
- Squeeze about an inch of toothpaste in a bowl and dilute with one or two table spoons of water
- Dab this mixture on the ornament to be cleaned
- Clean the piece with a soft bristled brush and rinse generally with water
- You can use this for cleaning gold jewelry you wear on a regular basis as toothpaste is a mild abrasive and is good for loosening up grime and dirt that collects in the crevices over a period of regular use.
Hope you find this post useful. In case we have missed any tip on how to clean diamond and gold jewelry let us know in the comments section and we will include it the next time we revise this . Keep checking for more articles on preserving jewelry (: