How To Clean Your Refrigerator in 9 Easy Steps + Get Rid of Refrigerator Odor
Cleaning your refrigerator is not your favorite task. You would never even think of doing it unless it starts to look really dirty with ugly stains and spills all over it and/or starts to stink. Now, such a situation calls for action – so here is how to clean your refrigerator.
You will need
- A Sponge
- Soap Solution (Dissolve 1 tsp of dishwashing liquid in half a cup of water)
- Dry Cloth
- Paper Towels
- Switch it off: Do this unless you want a rude shock (literally). On a serious note, make sure you not only switch off but also unplug the cord from the outlet.
- Empty the refrigerator: While you are at it its a great idea to check the expiry dates on packaged food or bottled/jarred sauces, syrups, pastes etc. and immediately trash outdated stuff. Also, check for the old or inedible food and throw it away.While emptying the refrigerator, group similar items so as to make it easier for you organize once you are done with the cleaning. Note: There may be items that would spoil if kept out of the refrigerator. Don’t worry, you can store them in the freezer. Even if the refrigerator is switched off, the freezer would remain cool for at least 2 hours.
- Take out removable surfaces like shelves, drawers, grills and trays: Most refrigerators have removable shelves, drawers, grills and trays. Take out anything that can be removed to put it in you sink. These attachments are usually made of plastic and can be washed using lukewarm water, a sponge and soap. Note: Attachments that you remove from the refrigerator might be cold so wait for them to reach room temperature before you wash them in warm water. A sudden change in temperature can cause cracks and deformations.
- Clean the refrigerator interiors and doors: Pour some soap solution on a sponge and wipe off the stains from the insides of the refrigerator. In case there is excess soap, use a wet paper towel to clean it off. Now, use a dry cloth or paper towel to dry the surface.The doors should be cleaned in the same way. Note: You could also use a cleaning solution such as Colin, instead of soap solution.
- Replace removable surfaces: Once you have cleaned the interiors and doors of the refrigerator and allowed them to dry, replace the shelves, drawers, grills, and trays. Note: Make sure the removable surfaces are dry.
- Clean the freezer: This is the easiest part as the freezer is usually not that dirty. It should be cleaned in the same way as the refrigerator interiors.
- Put everything back: Now, clean (wipe off the outside of) the bottles and jars that we had removed in the beginning from the refrigerator and put them back. Try to keep everything organized.
- Clean the refrigerator from the outside: To clean the exterior of your fridge, use a mild soap solution or a cleaning solution mixed in lukewarm water. Dampen a sponge with the solution and wipe the refrigerator. Next, dampen a fresh, clean cloth in lukewarm water and use it to wipe the fridge. Dry with a paper towel or clean cloth.Make sure you also clean parts that are made of rubber like the door handles and door seal. Use an old toothbrush to clean the dirt rubber seal gasket. Note: Use a soft sponge to avoid scratches on the refrigerator body.
- Switch it on: Your refrigerator is now ready to be plugged in.
How to deodorize your refrigerator
Food stored in a fridge makes it smelly. Here is how you can minimize unpleasant refrigerator smells.
Place slice of lemon in your refrigerator. You can also use a ball of cotton soaked in lemon juice but a slice works for longer.Vanilla Extract
You can wipe the inside of your refrigerator with vanilla extract or put a cotton ball soaked with vanilla extract in it.
Take a small bowl full of coffee beans and keep it in the fridge.
Put orange or sweet lime peels in the fridge for a few hours.
Sandwich bread corners and ends if not used can be kept in a refrigerator for 2-3 hours to make it odor free.
Commonly used herbs, such as basil (tulsi), turmeric (haldi stick), cloves (laung), cinnamon (daal cheeni) and cardamom (elaichi) can be placed in a bowl and kept in the refrigerator. Surely a masaledar way to get rid of unpleasant refrigerator smells.
If you think that this post is useful, please comment, share and rate us.