How easily we ignore carpet cleaning and maintenance. Look at your carpet closely, it seems perfect at first sight but on closer inspection you realize that too many things are wrong with it. Either the fiber is coming out or the carpet doesn’t look as fresh or there are stains on it. Things below our feet end up getting neglected the most even though they are the ones that need maximum attention.
In this blog post we bring to you some simple tricks of carpet cleaning so that they continue feeling fresh and looking clean and new always.
INVEST IN GOOD CARPET PADDING
Never compromise on carpet padding. It’s an absolute essential. Here are the few advantages of investing in good carpet padding:
- Nobody will see the carpet padding but they’ll definitely notice any wear and tear that appears on the carpet due to lack of it. Padding helps protect your carpet from falling apart even after years of use.
- Usually made of rubber or foam material they give the floor a good finish by doing away with any imperfections if any.
- They are also good insulators and help control the temperature of the carpet and thereby your house.
- They absorb excess noise, so you can stop worrying about noise control during a house part.
DO NOT VACUUM NEW CARPETS
All old wives tales have some logic associated with them. They say that one should never vacuum your brand new carpet. And here’s why:
If your carpet is brand new or less than six weeks old, do not vacuum it and give it time to bed in. Carpets have a certain amount of loose fiber packing which helps hold the pile upright and once this is sucked out by a vacuum cleaner the pile tends to go flat. Instead try using a non electric hand sweeper.
HOW TO REMOVE WRINKLES ON CARPETS
No! Placing a heavy object hoping that wrinkle will settle overnight will not do. Here’s how you do it:
- Iron out your carpet wrinkles. Place a damp towel over the depression and press down with an iron. When the towel dries the wrinkle on the carpet should be gone.
CHECK FOR MOLD AND TREAT IT
If your carpet has begun to show spots of green and brown it is a sign of mold infestation. Moisture can be a reason. Get surrounding pipelines checked for leaks. To do away with the spots use a quick spot remover.(Yes, carpet cleaning is that easy.)Here is how you can make one at home:
- All you need is dish washing liquid and washing soda
- Add them in equal amounts to a little water
- Wait till the foam turns dry
- Apply this dry foam directly on the spot to clean them
↓↓ Continue Reading Below ↓↓
HOW TO REMOVE STAINS
Stains are the most obvious reason why you need carpet cleaning.Stains on carpets are tough but like all bad things they too can be fixed. All you need is to know which category the stain comes under and what stain remover to apply to it. Confused already? Worry not we will let you know how to make DIY stain remover for a number of applications.
Stain Removal Formula for Blood/Milk/Soya Sauce/Cheese/Mud Stains
These stains are the toughest to remove because they are usually rich in color. Follow this simple procedure to get rid of such tough stains:
- Add one teaspoon of a mild detergent or bleach to lukewarm water. Apply over the stained area and blot dry.
- Mix one tablespoon of household ammonia with half a cup of water. Apply this over stained spot and blot dry
- Wipe the spot with a sponge dipped in water and allow to air dry
- For cheese stains, the first step has to be repeated after the second
Stain Remover Formula for Butter/Candle Wax/Gravy
These stains are comparatively easy to remove. Just follow this simple procedure:
- Apply a few drops of dry cleaning solvent to the stained spot. Blot dry.
- Add one teaspoon of mild detergent to a cup of lukewarm water. Apply to the area and blot dry.
Stain Removal Formula for Candy/Soft Drinks/Tea
Soft drinks stain carpets most easily and are among the most common stains. Do away with them in these easy steps:
- Mix one-third cup of white vinegar and two-third cup of water. Dab it on the spot
- Now dab the spot with neutral Ph detergent
- Blot the spot then with clean water and pat dry.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR CARPET SMELL FRESH AND LOOK NEW
Ever felt that your carpet has a musty odor and does not feel ‘clean’? This is because it has lost its freshness due to over use. Here is how you can make it fresh again:
- Mix three-fourth cup of baking soda and one-fourth cup of perfumed talcum powder
- Add two tablespoon of corn starch to this
- Sprinkle the mixture on dry carpet and let it stand for 15 minutes
- Vacuum and see (and smell) the difference
In case all hacks fail do not hesitate to call professional cleaners. Procrastination can lead to the death of your favorite carpet.