Best Ways To Get Rid of Mold

With the non-stop rains this season, keeping your home dry and mold-free becomes really important. Mold-Removal is needed to avoid mold-related health problems- the most common are allergic responses from mold spore inhalation. These reactions may include hay fever, asthma and irritation of the eyes, throat or lungs.

By following some simple steps, your unwanted guest won’t stay for long.

But first, what is Mold?

A mold is a fungus that grows in the form of multi-cellular filaments. They cause bio-degradation of natural materials. They are present virtually everywhere and multiply by producing spores, which spreads through air, water or by insects and cause food spoilage and damage to property.

mold
Image Credits: Wikipedia

I was unaware that mold is a pretty common issue, especially in these rains! When I got to know this, the first thing I did was to look for an easy fix, and share it with all of you.

Food Fungus

mole on food
Image Credits: Wikipedia

Remedy:

If there is any sign of fungal growth in your food, the only solution is to throw it away.

Mold on Walls

 

mold on walls
Image Credits: Wikipedia

Did you know that mold can grow on your walls as well? Here is how to get rid of it-

Remedy:

  1. Use a knife to cut out the mold part from the wall.
  2. You will need brand new cement to fill in the cut out area that you just scraped out. Before drying, apply bleach on that particular area and then leave it to dry. (Bleach kills mold when it comes in contact with it. The spores and allergens from mold are neutralized as well)
  3. Once you’ve left it for 24 hours, you can then sand the mud down to smooth it out.

 Mold on Wood

Mold can be found on wooden furniture, wooden walls, wooden beams or any other wood. Here is how you can remove it-

mold on wood
Image Credits: Wikipedia

Remedy:

Mix water with detergent, dish-washing liquid or  any other household cleaner.

  • Wipe or scrub the mold from the surface using the mixture OR
  • You can also use the ultimate mold killer- bleach with water in the ratio 1:10. Wipe it off and let dry.

It’s usually safe to keep using moldy wood once you’ve cleaned it up.

General Safety Tips

  • There are always going to be small amounts of mold and spores left in your home, just keep an eye out.
  • Be sure to wear gloves and a dust mask while cleaning to avoid inhalation.
  • For large mold issues in your home, a professional should be called to ensure proper removal. Be sure to monitor the area for further signs of mold growth after cleaning.

Hope this works well for you!

Let us know if you have any queries in the comments section below.

About Priyasha Banerjee

A simple girl who is a huge F.R.I.E.N.D.S. fanatic. I'm sweet, crazy, a very good listener, highly emotional (you never know when the waterworks start) and won't talk to you if you say, "I didn't knew".

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *