How To Solve Waterproofing Problems Before Painting (The Complete Guide)
Dampness of walls and water seepage are common problems faced by homeowners. This happens due to poor quality construction and lack of waterproofing measures during construction of the home. It can cause dampness of the walls, efflorescence (puffy white deposits on walls) and peeling of paint
These dampness problems need to be tacked for a good home painting experience. There seems to be a lot of confusion on what waterproofing chemicals need to be used and the process involved. So, we decided to write this guide to set matters straight.
In writing this blog we consulted Mr. Rajkiran Gupta, a waterproofing expert from Shri Krishna Associates who gave us a detailed explanation of waterproofing problems, causes and solutions. Mr Gupta has been in the waterproofing industry for more than 8 years and has worked with industry leaders such as Asian paints waterproofing solutions and Dr Fixit. I will share his contact details later in the post and you can get in touch with him for a quotation.
In this post you will learn about common waterproofing issues and their causes, what waterproofing chemicals need to be used and waterproofing procedures that need to be followed. We have covered solutions and fixes for existing buildings. Preventive measures that are to be taken during construction of buildings will be covered later in another post.
1) How to treat rising damp
Rising damp affects the lower region of walls because of rising ground water within the wall due to capillary action. This causes efflorescence (white deposit) and peeling of the paint.
2) How to treat water seepage on walls because of adjoining bathroom or kitchen
Walls on the other side of bathroom or kitchen walls get damp because of either leaking pipes or seepage through tile grout.
3) How to treat dampness due to water seepage from exterior walls
Defects and cracks in the exterior walls causes water seepage to the interior walls. This affects mid-level of interior walls and areas around window frames.
4) How to treat dampness on ceiling due to leakage from terrace
Improper or inadequate waterproofing of the terrace can lead to water seepage on the roof especially around the upper corners of the room.
5) Dampness Due to Seepage From Bathroom on the Floor Above
Dampness in the interior walls and ceiling can also arise because of leakages from the kitchen or bathroom of the apartment above.
Treating Mild Dampness in Interior Walls
Interior walls develop damp patches because of the aforementioned reasons. In case if these are mild patches, they can be treated without much hassle and effort. Remember to treat not just the patches but also at least 2 feet around the damp patch.
- Use an iron brush to remove loose material around in the area to be treated. Remove patches of loose plaster if needed.
- In case the plaster has been removed re plaster the patches using mortar made of cement, sand and a plasticizing additive chemical like Asian Paints SmartCare Vitalia. Allow plaster to cure and dry out before the next step. Find out more about SmartCare Vitalia in this video.
- Apply a waterproof coating like SmartCare Damp Block on the re-plastered area using the application instructions. This layer will prevent seepage and can also be used as a surface for repainting. Watch this video to find out more about how to apply damp block.
- The surface can now be repainted after surface preparation.
Treating Severe Dampness in Interior Walls
Severe dampness is characterized by peeling plaster, severe visible damp patches on the wall and white chalky deposits on the wall. To tackle this problem of water leaking from walls, the plaster has to be completely removed to apply waterproofing from the brick level.
- Break the damaged plaster on the walls up to the brick level completely. Remember to clear a patch 2 feet in excess of the damp patch.
- Apply a waterproof coating agent like Asian Paints SmartCare Damp Block 2K or Dr Fixit Pidifin 2K directly on the bricks according to the right procedure. Watch this video to find out more about how to apply Damp Block 2K.
- Re plaster the exposed patch using mortar using cement, sand and a plasticizing additive chemical like Asian Paints SmartCare Vitalia or Dr Fixit LW+. Allow plaster to cure as applicable and dry out.
- Re paint the area after base preparation.
Filling Cracks between Tiles & Waterproofing Grout
Grout (area between tiles) and cracks in bathroom and kitchen tiles cause seepage of water which leads to dampness in the adjacent walls. This causes bubbling and peeling of paint. The seepage could also be because of leaking pipes inside the bathroom walls.
- In case there is a leakage in pipes or pipe joints you need to consult a plumber to identify the source and repair it before you can treat the wall.
- Fill the grout and any cracks between the tiles using a sealing agent like Asian Paints SmartCare Cement or Epoxy Grout. This will block water from entering the wall altogether.
Repairing & Waterproofing Exterior Walls
Seepage in mid level walls and those around windows can be due to cracks in the external walls. Before treating the interior walls you need to repair and waterproof the exterior by following these steps.
- Fill cracks in exterior walls using an exterior crack sealant like Asian Paints SmartCare Crack Seal.
- To protect areas around window frames from water seepage from exterior walls, ﬁll the gaps between the window frames and walls using a special bonding sealant like Asian Paints SmartCare Akrylmax .
- After repairing the exterior walls for any cracks, apply any exterior paint with waterproofing abilities.
Roof Waterproofing Methods
Seepage and dampness on the ceiling, especially in corners are caused by either cracks in the roof or improper waterproofing of the roof. An easy solution is to use a waterproofing coating on the roof to ensure that water does not leak to the ceiling.
- Water logging issues need to be resolved by checking and fixing issues with drainage pipes.
- Fill cracks in the terrace slabs so that water does not percolate into the interior walls. There are various crack sealing agents which fill up cracks with a 3 mm width up to 10mm width like Asian Paints SmartCare Crack Seal and SmartCare Textured Crack Filler.
- After filling the cracks, cover the entire terrace and parapet walls with a waterproofing agent like Asian Paints SmartCare Damp Proof. This product can be easily applied on roofs and gives good waterproofing without the hassle. You can watch this video to know more.
Waterproofing Solution for Bathroom & Kitchen
Dampness of ceilings and walls can be because of water leakage from an upper floor bathroom in your own or your neighbor’s house. Solving this issue can get complicated as you need to waterproof the bathroom or kitchen at the RCC slab level.
- You need to get the tiles and the tile mortar removed and waterproof the concrete slab using Asian Paints SmartCare Dampblock 2K. You can also lay a layer of SmartCare Bathroom Waterprooﬁng Membrane for a more permanent solution.
- Re pave the concrete using mortar mixed with a plasticizing additive chemical like Asian Paints SmartCare Vitalia or Dr Fixit LW+ .
- Fill grout and any cracks between the tiles using a sealing agent like Asian Paints SmartCare Cement or Epoxy Grout.
There are other advance methods of waterproofing like injection grouting that we have not covered in this blog post because the emphasis here is on common dampness issues faced while painting.
For solutions to all your waterproofing problems in Delhi NCR, you can get in touch with Mr Rajkiran Gupta on his phone number 9899203620 or 7065565005. You can also get in touch with him on his e mail address email@example.com or fill the form below. Please note that consultancy for water proofing is available only in Delhi & NCR.
GET CONSULTATION + QUOTATION
(Delhi & NCR ONLY)
Want to know how much it will cost to solve waterproofing issues?
Enter your name & number and a waterproofing expert will call you
We won’t share your number or spam you. Promise.
In case you have any questions or would like to add something to this post feel free to comment and I will be happy to reply.
If you are looking for painting services for your home or office you can visit our painting services page and send us an inquiry.
Get Home Improvement & Lifehacks in your inbox. Sign up to our awesome newsletter.
Takes just a second. Unsubscribe anytime.